Legal Question in Entertainment Law in New York

how to terminate from an exclusive management agreement?

Hi, I naively signed a 3 year exclusive talent management contract when I was 17 years old, now 19, and graduated from an acting conservatory and receiving education on the business, I realized they were not a complete legit agency- meaning youíre not supposed to make the talent pay any upfront fees for their service, and I fell for paying $200.00 for the inclusion in web site (scanning, digital placement, sizing 15), and $250.00 for a maintenance fee for 1 year, they wanted to charge me for the second year, but I did not have the money to renew it. Also, they have not called me in about 6 months for any jobs, and the last time was for a cruise ship performing job, which is not in my area of performance, which is acting for film, televsion, and theater. Their specialty is modeling, which I cannot compete in due to the high demands on height and specific weight requirements. Graduating from my acting conservatory, and now having experience to get a more legit agent, I am moving from New York City acting to Los Angeles acting scene- but I canít sign with another agent in LA. HOW CAN I GET OUT OF THE CONTRACT? When they did not breach their side of the contract? I would appreciate it greatly!

Steven Mark Steven Paul Mark, Attorney at Law

Re: how to terminate from an exclusive management agreement?

You need to have a lawyer review your agreement to assess whether the manager has perfomed, whether the manager was really acting as an agent and what are the potential damages to you if it's a binding agreement and you choose to ignore the contract.

More Entertainment & Sport Law questions and answers in New York

Entertainment & Sport Law Legal Forms