Legal Question in Family Law in New York

im 16 years old and I live in new York. ive heard of a form thatmy friends family can fill out that would make them legally and financially responsible for me so that I can leave home. what is this form called?

Asked on 7/03/13, 6:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Philip Katz Fink & Katz, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

In NYS a child who is not emancipated and is living away from both parents may file a petition against his or her parents asking for an order of support to be paid to the child. Emancipation is a legal term. When lawyers and judges say a minor is "emancipated," they mean that the minor is allowed to conduct a business or any other occupation on his or her own behalf or for their own account outside the influence of a parent or guardian. There is no special form for this, simply a petition for child support needs to be filed with the local Family Court. You will have to prove that you are (1) living away from both parents, and (2) not emancipated. If you can do that, the Court will then look to your parents' income, determine their child support payment obligations, and make them pay based upon the Child Support Standards Act Guidelines.

Read more
Answered on 7/09/13, 4:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now