Legal Question in Family Law in New York

If a child is born and no acknowledgement of paternity was signed, and the mother later marries, can the husband sign the acknowledgement of paternity and be added to the birth certificate as the legal father?

Asked on 10/23/13, 10:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

As noted on the form and instructions, the acknowledgement of paternity is used if you are the biological father and nobody else can be the biological father.

If you are truly the biological father of the child, you can sign the acknowledgement of paternity up until the child turns 18. If you aren't the bio dad, you can formally adopt the child. An adoption makes you the legal father with all rights and responsibilities. Moreover, once the adoption is complete, you are added to the birth certificate.

Also licensed in New York.

Read more
Answered on 10/25/13, 2:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now