New York  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/13/13, 7:33 am

I have custody of my 7 year old daughter and my ex-wife has visitation. There is an Order of Visitation in place, but it conflicts with the dance class my daughter wants to continue taking. My ex and I have come to an agreement on a change in the visitation schedule. I asked my ex to sign and have notarized a statement that describes the changes from the Order of Visitation. She says it is not legally binding because the Order of Visitation has not been amended. Is she right? Or is it enough? I didn't think we had to go back to court since we are in agreement, but I don't want her to be able to use this against me in the future if we aren't following the Order of Visitation and this statement isn't legally binding.

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/24/13, 1:24 pm by Bruce Provda

She is somewhat right in that the Order of Visitation stands in court until it is legally amended. However, if you both agree on an adjustment for the duration of your daughter's dance class, there would be no reason to go to court over this temporary adjustment. While the document doesn't change the overall visitation order, it will show that you both had an understanding about the temporary adjustment so why not have it.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Provda Law Firm 40 Wall Street, 11 Floor New York, NY 10005

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search