New York  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/12/13, 7:36 am

I am due a final settlement payment from my ex husband from our divorce which was settled a year ago. The payment is due on June 18th and when I contacted him to make sure he will be paying the debt he does not respond. He is taking our son out of the country for two weeks following the due payment. If he does not pay it what recourse do I have and can I stop his trip for non payment?

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/14/13, 8:37 am by Paula McGill

You can seek to hold him in contempt if he does not pay.

In the contempt petition, note the several times you reminded him to pay.

However, you cannot file the motion until he fails to pay.

The court won't prevent him from going out of the country simply because he doesn't pay you.

Licensed and Practicing in New York

Offices in Manhattan and Nassau County

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney at Law 1100 Peachtree Street, NE, Suite 200 Atlanta, GA 30309

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search