New York  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/17/13, 11:28 pm

How does filing for child custody work?

Can I file for child custody if she has first but my file date is sooner than hers?

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/18/13, 11:02 am by Jordan Trager

If she already has an order of custody, you can file a petition for a change of custody. If not, you can file a petition for custody regardless whether she has filed one previously. You should be prepared to show the reasons why the court ought to award you custody.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C. 1010 Northern Blvd, Suite 300 Great Neck, NY 11021

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

81 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search