New York  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/03/13, 4:21 am

Good question concerns child support - I am located in Erie County, NY. My ex-husband and I have three children current ages are 17, 15 & 14 and we have been dirvorced for over 6 years. Currently, my ex is over $13,000 behind in back child suport payments - when he has a job child support is automatically deducted from his pay (court ordered) but he rarely works anymore than 4-6 months at a time and it takes upwards of 2 months for the "paperwork" to catch up that he is working . Because of this it has created a hardship for the last several years including, with loss of $178 in child support, I pay full medical for all three which amounts to nearly the same amount per week. My question is this, even once the kids kids are 18 and or on their own, am I still owed the back child support? He keeps insisting that next year I lower my child support request once the oldest turns 18. I don't think it's fair, morally, for him to shirk the responsibility owed to the kids and me for the years we have had to struggle - the back monies would go a long ways towards furthering the children's education. I don't believe that he can just walk away scott free once they are all 18 or older. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you very much for taking the time to read my request.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

81 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search