Legal Question in Family Law in New York

My husband and I are having an amicable divorce (i.e., no division of assets, child custody) and he will continue to pay the mortgage with his income via our joint account. If we have a fallout, and we decide to sell the house which has both our names in the title, am I entitled to half even tho his income is paying the mortgage through our joint account in the State of New York?

Asked on 9/18/13, 7:17 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Browde David A. Browde, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No...which is why you are taking a huge risk with your so-called amicable divorce.

Trying to cut corners and avoid legal fees can lead you into a real disaster. Consult a local attorney before you sign something that puts you into a very difficult position.

Read more
Answered on 9/18/13, 7:20 am
Bruce Provda Provda Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

It is possible as you are both on the deed and he cannot sell the house without your signature. However, if he can prove that he alone has been paying the mortgage you may end up with less than half. You should speak with an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 9/18/13, 12:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now