New York  |  Family Law

I have lived with my common law spouse from 2002 to 2011 in Ontario, Canada and then married in NYC from 2011 to 2013. My questions are regarding spousal support and my legal right to leave etc. Any other relevant advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Answered on: 9/09/13, 4:07 am by David Browde

The first question would be as to whether you in fact have a common law marriage. In what state do you think it took place, and when?

If you do have a common law marriage the laws in New York regarding divorce and ancillary relief such as spousal support would be identical to those for any other marriage.

David A. Browde, P.C. 604 Quaker Road Chappaqua, NY 10514

Answered on: 9/09/13, 7:23 am by Jordan Trager

If you are able to prove that you have a common law marriage then you can seek maintenance, equitable distribution and all other relief in a divorce case.

Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C. 1010 Northern Blvd, Suite 300 Great Neck, NY 11021