Legal Question in Family Law in New York

If one parent of a child dies, and the other is a convicted felon out on parole, will the surviving parent be granted custody? Or is a custody hearing required to find a more suitable guardian (i.e. grandparents).

Asked on 9/30/13, 7:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

A convicted felon is not necessarily banned from obtaining custody of a child. It depends on several factors, including the nature of the felony. If grandparents, aunts/uncles, or other family members want to take on the responsiblity, they should file a petition with the court. The court will decide who will obtain custody.

Also licensed in New York.

Read more
Answered on 10/01/13, 4:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now