New York  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/09/13, 4:20 pm

Hi. I just recently got divorced. I finally signed to accept about $370.00 a month for two kids. With nothing else. No summer camp, afterschool activities, clothes, trips, nothing. I signed the stipulation because a) I didn't have money to pay a lawyer and b)he supposedly cannot work now due to health issues, so I figured that if and when he'd get a job (which I would probably only know about if I hired a detective) I could go to family court and up the ante. I live in New York City by the way.

Did I make a horrible mistake by signing the stipulation, or would I probably not been able to get more child support due to the fact that he's not working (so he says) and even when he does work, he doesn't show tips and extras in his taxes. The amount he has to pay was actually calculated based on what he earned before he said he stopped working. So, anyway, did I make a mistake? (Btw I signed it because I truly wanted to be finished with it already).

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/09/13, 5:22 pm by Philip Katz

I cannot say that you made a "horrible mistake," but you did make a mistake. In divorce proceedings you can ask for sworn financial disclosure and then negotiate from a position of knowledge. That would have been the better way to figure out what you were entitled to. You may want to take your divorce judgment to a lawyer for review.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Fink & Katz, PLLC 40 Exchange Place, Suite 2010 New York, NY 10005

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search