Legal Question in Family Law in New York

in a situation where parents have joint custody, mother having physical custody. A problem teenager(15)recently moved in with father, mother agrees to return support($75 wk) , mother provides childs insurance, legally what is she required to provide with support? NY

Asked on 10/03/13, 4:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If there is a court order that requires the father to pay for support, she is not required to pay anything. If you are the father, I strongly recommend you file a consent petition to modify custody and visitation. If you are willing to the background work and complete the forms, you won't need an attorney. Child support is based on the income of the parents. Therefore, you should turn to the NY child support information. You can start at

Of course, if you're unwilling or unable to handle the consent petition to modify custody and support, you should retain counsel. The entire consent matter should cost you no more than $1,000. You may be able to obtain counsel for $500, if the two of you can agree to all terms.

Also licensed in New York.

Read more
Answered on 10/04/13, 7:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now