New York  |  Family Law

Can I get sole custody in NYC based on my son's father being verbally abusive towards him using curse words such as "faggot". He is not there for him financially and whenever I need a form signed by him for any sort of consent, It takes weeks and months. He has been arrested for domestic violence and DUI.

Answered on: 7/10/13, 10:17 am by Steve Brodsky Esq.

You can almost certainly get sole physical custody (i.e. your son lives with you). You may also have a good chance of getting sole legal custody. You should consult a divorce lawyer. Feel free to call us at 212-913-9907.

NYCDivorceCenter.com 305 Broadway, 14 Fl. New York, NY 10007

Answered on: 7/10/13, 12:32 pm by Jordan Trager

If there is not presently an order of custody you stand a good chance of getting it. You will need to file a petition in the family court. If there is already an order you will have to seek to modify it.

Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C. 1010 Northern Blvd, Suite 300 Great Neck, NY 11021