New York  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/20/13, 1:45 pm

Me and my spouse are getting divorced im a uk citizen and he american. When it is over I will have to return to the uk. My question is will I have a problem when it.comes to taking my son with me? He was born while we were married but im the one who has raised him and im a very competent mother, I have a apartment and job lined up for when I.return to the uk, I have a clean record and refuse to leave my son behind, any help would be gratefull. Incase it.makes a difference our son is 2yr.

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/20/13, 2:04 pm by Jordan Trager

Yes it could definitely be a problem. If he is part of your son's life then your relocation to Great Britain would deprive him of that. You will need to settle this issue before you are divorced. The divorce papers will have to specify that you have fully custody, that you are taking your son with you to Great Britain with his consent, and should include whatever visitation is agreed to. If you cannot agree to this I would strongly urge you to get a lawyer familiar with relocation law.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C. 1010 Northern Blvd, Suite 300 Great Neck, NY 11021

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search