Legal Question in Family Law in New York

What happens if u disobey a court order even after you've been given a warning in court & on paper?

My daughters father has a habit of using the baby as a pawn when he doesn't get his way. We had a verbal agreement 4 visitation which he went back on when he found out i had a boyfriend & tried 2 claim he didnt no where the baby was. I brought him 2 court 4 this, but my claim was thrown out 4 lack of proof & he got away with it. After 2 years of back & 4th in court, i decided 2 let him have custody because i new 1ce the courts werent involved, he would take advantage. The order agreed upon was he has custody, i have regular supervised visits 2b arranged by text (so there's a record of everything) & daily phone contact. After 7 months of excuses for why he couldnt keep visits or phone calls, he cut all communication. The next time i saw him was when he was asking 4 child support. Now after being served papers for not complying & a verbal warning from the judge, hes STILL disobeying the order. I have call logs & text to prove that hes doing it out of spite, but i have a feeling that hes going 2 get away with it again & now its been 10 months since ive seen my daughter. I also have 2 younger children who have not been able 2 have a relationship with there sister because of this. I don't know what 2 do anymore. Its not fair that he keeps getting away with messing up all of our lives.

Asked on 7/14/13, 6:55 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anne Peyton Bryant Bryant & Bleier LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

He can be held in contempt of court and sanctioned by the judge in a number of ways. If you do not have an attorney, you really should consult with one immediately.

Anne Peyton Bryant, Esq.

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 7/14/13, 7:09 am
Jordan Trager Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should retain an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 6:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now