New York  |  Civil Litigation

What is an ACD?

Hi, I'm an NYU student doing research about the prevalence of marijuana. I have a couple of questions...first of all, my boyfriend was arrested in New York City for possession of marijuana, but he was released on something that I believe was called an ACD, after he spent almost a day in jail. They said that if nothing would happen if he didn't get arrested for six months. First of all, what does ACD stand for? Is it specifically about marijuana possession? Unfortunately, he was arrested again in Arizona within the six-month period on charges of marijuana possession and minor in possession of alcohol--but he thinks he will get off on the possession charge, because it wasn't his, he was just there. What usually happens if the person is arrested again within the six-month period? What if the arrest is in another state? Does it make a difference if the arrest is on charges of possession or not? Is the probationary period always six months? If not, how is the probationary period determined? And finally, what is most likely to happen to my boyfriend?

Sorry this is so long...if it's too long to answer, I'd appreciate if you let me know, so I don't wait.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!