Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

a friend asked to borrow 5k for a divorce lawyer. On the credit union check I wrote on it loan. Money was to be paid back to me from the proceeds of the sale of their house. House has been sold but the person avoids me. When I ask about the money she yells to stop harassing me. Should i go to small claims court or hire a lawyer. I think if she received a letter from a private lawyer for lets say 6k for whatever reason, she would get scared a pay immediately. I do not have the money to just give away. Thank you in advance.

Asked on 5/22/10, 2:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Demand payment in writing. Then Go to small claims Court shortly after, to file a Petition. Ascertain where she works & banks. Since, upon entry of a judgment you will need a place to begin trying to collect on your judgment.

Good luck,

Read more
Answered on 5/25/10, 5:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now