Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

a friend asked to borrow 5k for a divorce lawyer. On the credit union check I wrote on it loan. Money was to be paid back to me from the proceeds of the sale of their house. House has been sold but the person avoids me. When I ask about the money she yells to stop harassing me. Should i go to small claims court or hire a lawyer. I think if she received a letter from a private lawyer for lets say 6k for whatever reason, she would get scared a pay immediately. I do not have the money to just give away. Thank you in advance.

Phroska L. McAlister PHROSKA LEAKE McALISTER

Demand payment in writing. Then Go to small claims Court shortly after, to file a Petition. Ascertain where she works & banks. Since, upon entry of a judgment you will need a place to begin trying to collect on your judgment.

Good luck,

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms