Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

I was late on my rent and on the verge of being evicted by the rental property head office located in a different area. Of course, the superintendant of the premises speaks to the head office and apparently found out about this. Although now I have paid all rent and fees in the rears, I found out that this super was telling my neighbors that I was being evicted. I want to sue the building management for letting the super know my private information and I also want to sue the super for spreading this information around the complex to my frineds and neighbors. Do I have any grounds for a defamation of slander suit??

Denise Johnson Denise Johnson, Esq.

In order for the super to be liable for defamation, the statement made by him must have been FALSE and defamatory, communicated to a third person and caused you damage. Based on the information you have given, you were in fact about to be evicted so the information that the super was telling others was not false. Therefore, you would not have a successful suit.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms