Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

I may need to sue a dear friend for money loaned and owed. I dont want to, but may have to come to it. They are in a bind I am familiar with at the moment, but ensures they will be OK by August to pay back part of the loan. I want to give them extra time to see if they come thru, but would like to file now just in case. If they are unable to come thru again, I will have to end our long friendship and serve. How long can I wait before serving a summons? Is there an expiration period?

SHAHRIAR KASHANIAN LAW OFFICES OF SHAHRIAR KASHANIAN, ESQ.,

There is a six year statute of limitiations on contract cases. Do you have anyt documents in writing from your friend; any receipts, cancelled checks, written acknowledgement of loan, etc. I would start an action now if you figure you wnat to preserve your rights; but beware, you can not get blood from stone. If he is playing you, you might as well proceed.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms