New York  |  Civil Litigation

Hi, A little more than a year ago I was caught shoplifting. The police were contacted and I had to appear in court. I had to go through a shoplifting program and then the judge said the case would be sealed. Now it is a little more than a year later and I got caught shoplifting again. The police were contacted, i paid a resitution for the civil court and now i have to appear in criminal court. will this 2nd time appear on my record? is there a way for it to be hidden, do i need a lawyer? I am not able to afford one so where would i get someone to represent me? Both times i was over 18. I have finally learned my lesson, unfortunately it took me this 2nd arrest to realize it...I am just very worried about it appearing on my record and having my future employment/academics being affected. Please help.

Answered on: 5/24/10, 6:01 pm by Debra Palazzo

You need a lawyer.

If you can't afford one ask the court to assign you one.

Law Offices of Debra Palazzo, LLC 317 Elwood Ave. Hawthorne, NY 10532

Answered on: 5/25/10, 9:28 am by Phroska L. McAlister

If you prove to the Criminal Court, that you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you. Whether you will have a "new" Criminal record depends upon the Criminal Court disposition of your case.

Good luck,

PHROSKA LEAKE McALISTER 116 West 23rd Street # 197 5th Floor New York, NY 10011