Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

Hi, A little more than a year ago I was caught shoplifting. The police were contacted and I had to appear in court. I had to go through a shoplifting program and then the judge said the case would be sealed. Now it is a little more than a year later and I got caught shoplifting again. The police were contacted, i paid a resitution for the civil court and now i have to appear in criminal court. will this 2nd time appear on my record? is there a way for it to be hidden, do i need a lawyer? I am not able to afford one so where would i get someone to represent me? Both times i was over 18. I have finally learned my lesson, unfortunately it took me this 2nd arrest to realize it...I am just very worried about it appearing on my record and having my future employment/academics being affected. Please help.

Asked on 5/18/10, 8:11 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Debra Palazzo Law Offices of Debra Palazzo, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You need a lawyer.

If you can't afford one ask the court to assign you one.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/10, 6:01 pm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you prove to the Criminal Court, that you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you. Whether you will have a "new" Criminal record depends upon the Criminal Court disposition of your case.

Good luck,

Read more
Answered on 5/25/10, 9:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now