Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

Hi, I have an approved I-140 in the EB1B category. For my I-485, I got a RFE to submit proof of nonimmigrant status between 2003 and 2010 (when I was a student and postdoc). I have the I-20 for 2004-2009 (Ph.D.) and the I-797 for 2009- 2010 (H-1B for postdoc) but I can't find my first I-20 for 2003-2004 (the school doesn't have it either). I also don't have any saved I-94 copies from that time. Any suggestions for any alternatives? I will appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Asked on 5/20/13, 5:21 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Rebecca White Law Office of Rebecca White
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You can file for a replacement I-94, and you can also make a FOIA request for copies of the prior I-20s. However, timing may be an issue, as the RFE due date may approach faster than the response to either the filing for the replacement I-94 or the FOIA for the I-20.

Read more
Answered on 5/20/13, 5:35 pm
Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The problem with FOIA or replacement I-94 applications are that they take so long to adjudicate & you might not have much time left before you have to respond to the RFE. Copies of admission stamps in your passport or U.S. visas might help.

I would speak with the DSO at the school & see if they can write a letter verifying your status, or see if they have your old file in electronic storage.

Read more
Answered on 5/21/13, 11:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now