Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

Family Reunion

I am a US citizen and my whole family is in Russia, what can I do to request for my sister to come to US to reconnect with me. Is there a form or a legal Request i need to send somewhere? Where can I find it?

Asked on 9/12/06, 10:55 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Frenkel Frenkel Sukhman LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Family Reunion

The key document to prepare and file with USCIS is Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. You can find it on the government's website at Beware that the waiting time for a visa number for your sister (4th preference) may be 10 years or longer. Until the visa is available (and it depends on the number of immigrant visas to be issued in the years to come), your sister will not be able to immigrate to the U.S. She may be able to come to the U.S. temporarily on another (non-immigrant) basis but once you file for her immigration visa, it may become difficult, if not impossible. Consult an immigration attorney for an appropriate solution to your sister's situation.

The above reply is in the nature of general information, is not legal advice and should not be relied on as such.

Read more
Answered on 9/12/06, 11:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now