New York  |  Immigration Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/24/13, 4:04 am


I did not know where to turn to about asking this question and it is quite a simple one at that. My wife was unaware as well.

We got married not so long ago. I am not a citizen of the USA but she is and my current status, until mid-November, is as a tourist. We married in the State of New York but we want to relocate in another state. Unfortunately we live in a quite horrible neighborhood and is completely not a good place to raise our child who is 7 years old now.

The question, we know what procedures to start for my papers and all but we are interested as to how will that affect or disrupt our moving anywhere to another state inside the US. Can I start the papers in one and finish the in another or should we wait and start the process in the state we intend to move to? Can we at all relocate before I have any residence status?

Of course if that is not possibly we will likely have to suffer living where we currently are but if there is even the slightest chance of doing so that would allow us to move before that would be a valuable piece of information for us.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search