Legal Question in Insurance Law in New York

My university issued me a laptop when I began college, and it came with an insurance. This was 4 years ago, and I no longer have the laptop. I just open a letter that was received at my parent's house about 6 months ago saying that the policy has been sold to a company called safeware and the policy will be renewed unless I cancel. I just opened the letter, and it's 2 months later than the date they said I must renew by. I do not live at my parent's house and have not since I began college. I haven't had the laptop in over a year. They want to change me nearly $1300 for this new policy, but the laptop originally cost $800. I am going to call the customer service and tell them this, and request they cancel the policy. It this legal for them to do? I know a company must give reasonable notice before renewing a contract, but given that I don't live at that address, and have not for years, is that reasonable notice? Also, dose the fact that the laptop no longer exist play a role? There's nothing for them to insure. Hopefully they won't fight with me on this, but if they do, what are my options?

SHAHRIAR KASHANIAN LAW OFFICES OF SHAHRIAR KASHANIAN, ESQ.,

Why do not you call them and explain your situation. I believe, positively, they will cancel without fanfare and you just wasted time jumping the gun.

More Insurance Law questions and answers in New York

Insurance Law Legal Forms