Legal Question in International Law in New York

Can you be deported/arrested for having an expired visa?

I have a legal passport but did not

leave the country back and forth and

now I have an expired visa (for

years). I am unable to drive because

DMV will not renew my drivers

license unless I get a green card. I

am able to travel within the US, but

I am afraid that I may be arrested. Is

this possible? I heard of a story of

Brittney Murphy's fiance being

arrested for an expired passport.

Asked on 10/16/07, 3:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Pinzler william M. Pinzler
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Can you be deported/arrested for having an expired visa?

First, you need to contact an immigration lawyer immediately. Second, the mere fact that you have a valid non-US passport is not sufficient. You need to be in the US legally. Having overstayed your visa is very serious and you need to be in touch with an able lawyer in this field right away.

Read more
Answered on 10/16/07, 9:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More International Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now