New York  |  Employment Law

I am a freelance worker and my agency owe me an unpaid wage of $2000. The agency has attained an attorney and I have received a letter stating that 1) they have attained an attorney, 2)they have every intention to pay. Now, this was over 6 months ago and still to this date I have not received a penny. Prior to receiving this letter, I have send numerous emails and left numerous voice message to the agency. I have also filed a complaint with the department of labor. Nothing has been fruitful. How can I receive the money? I understand the amount is too small for me to attain an attorney. Now what? Just tolerate the pain and cry? Please help, it is substantial amount on my behalf.

Answered on: 6/12/13, 10:54 am by Scott Ziegler

File a claim in New York smalls claim court. The agency will need to hire a lawyer to appear, which would likely cost more than the claim itself and could lead to a payment. Worse case you would present your claim at the hearing and hopefully get a result. This assumes you can substantiate your claim against the agency for the amounts owing

Ziegler, Ziegler & Associates LLP 570 Lexington Avenue New York, NY 10022

Answered on: 6/13/13, 4:18 am by Locksley Wade

Contact the New York State Dept. of Labor Wage & Hour Division and make an inquiry about receiving unpaid wages. See their website.

Law Office of Locksley O. Wade 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004