Legal Question in Employment Law in New York

I am a freelance worker and my agency owe me an unpaid wage of $2000. The agency has attained an attorney and I have received a letter stating that 1) they have attained an attorney, 2)they have every intention to pay. Now, this was over 6 months ago and still to this date I have not received a penny. Prior to receiving this letter, I have send numerous emails and left numerous voice message to the agency. I have also filed a complaint with the department of labor. Nothing has been fruitful. How can I receive the money? I understand the amount is too small for me to attain an attorney. Now what? Just tolerate the pain and cry? Please help, it is substantial amount on my behalf.

Asked on 6/12/13, 10:49 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Ziegler Ziegler, Ziegler & Associates LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

File a claim in New York smalls claim court. The agency will need to hire a lawyer to appear, which would likely cost more than the claim itself and could lead to a payment. Worse case you would present your claim at the hearing and hopefully get a result. This assumes you can substantiate your claim against the agency for the amounts owing

Read more
Answered on 6/12/13, 10:54 am
Locksley Wade Law Office of Locksley O. Wade
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Contact the New York State Dept. of Labor Wage & Hour Division and make an inquiry about receiving unpaid wages. See their website.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/13, 4:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now