Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New York

private 2 family house

tenant has abandoned apartment, owes 2+ months rent

at what point can landlord change locks and confiscate furnature left in apartment?

Asked on 3/22/10, 9:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Markowitz Michael A. Markowitz, PC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The safest way is to commence an eviction proceeding. By executing on a warrant of eviction, the tenant is not able to claim conversion of his property.

If the tenant delivered the keys and provided written documentation that he abandoned the apartment, you would be able to go in without a warrant.


Read more
Answered on 3/28/10, 6:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now