Legal Question in Personal Injury in New York

broken arm = no job

I fell off of my bicycle after work and broke my elbow. I'll be unable to do most of the tasks my job requires for at least six weeks. Two work days after the injury, I was laid off and replaced. I have no insurance; now I have no income either. I can't even go looking for another job in my field until I heal. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits? Is there any other way for me to A) recover lost wages or B) defray my medical costs?

Pasquale Calcagno Calcagno & Associates, PLLC

Re: broken arm = no job

I am very sorry for your terrible ordeal. Generally, you would be eligible for unemployment benefits in your instance unless there are facts you are not including in your email that would prevent you qualifying. As to your second question, you may be able to recover lost wages if you were on the job. You can defray your medical costs by filing a lawsuit against any party responsible for your fall off the bike (if someone else was at fault for your fall off the bike). I would be happy to offer you a free consultation on your claim. Kindly contact me, Pasquale Calcagno, Esq., at 1(800)WE-FIGHT.

Re: broken arm = no job

Re: broken arm = no job

Re: broken arm = no job

Re: broken arm = no job

Antoinette Wooten The Hurley Wooten Legal Consulting, PC

Re: broken arm = no job

I am colleague of Antoinette Wooten. I suggest that you apply for unemployment insurance.

Finally,, you may have a personal injury claim. Please tell me what caused you to fall off your bike.

Tom Annunziato tcannunziato@yahoo.com

Michael E. Zuller Zuller Law Offices

Re: broken arm = no job

Without an employment contract you will find it hard going to take any legal action against an employer in these circumstances. I would think you can file for unemployment since you did not voluntarily quit. I wonder what caused your accident in the first place. Was it a collision or riding into some sort of roadway or sidewalk defect? Depending on the circumstances, you might have a case. Best, M. E. Zuller

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New York