Legal Question in Personal Injury in New York


Someone served papers for me at an old address, my parents house. I have been living in a different state for two years now. Am I obligated to answer the summons? Also, the incident they are suing for happened 4 years ago today, they served the papers two days ago. How do I determine the statue of limitations?

Asked on 9/09/13, 10:57 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Eric Rothstein Rothstein Law PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You need to serve an Answer or file a pre-Answer motion to dismiss.

If you do neither the plaintiff will take a default judgment against you.

I suggest you hire a lawyer.

I handle cases like this.

Eric Rothstein


[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 11:00 am
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should answer the summons and complaint. If you were covered by insurance, you should notify your insurance company immediately. There may be coverage issues. I suggest you conference the case immediately with an attorney to protect your rights. Better safe than sorry.

Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 11:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Personal Injury Law and Tort Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now