Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

a lawyer said he would handle my house sale for $800. he contacted the buyer's lawyer then asked me to bring in the abstract. When i got to his office, after he took the abstract, he said he wanted to "clear the air" and said he'd have to raise the price. Then he never quoted a new price what should i do?

Asked on 8/06/13, 10:02 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Arnold Nager Arnold H. Nager, Esquire
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Find yourself another lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 8/06/13, 10:16 am
David Browde David A. Browde, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

What Mr. Nager said.

Read more
Answered on 8/06/13, 12:29 pm
Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I agree, unless there was some discussion as to why the increase was necessary. For instance, there may have been problems with the abstract that would increase the estimated time to resolve them to be greatly increased. Not every attorney is a fee gouging one, and there may have been unforeseen complications. I have run into this periodically, and initial fee quotes have to be corrected. I explain why in every instance. I do not low-ball fee quotes, but I do explain from the outset that unforeseen problems do arise and in such cases, the fee quoted may have to be raised. If the problems do arise, I explain it all to my client. Are we missing some facts?

Read more
Answered on 8/06/13, 1:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now