Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

Property Rights

I erected my fence 12 inches encroaching on my neighbors property for more then 12 years. Now I am rebuilding my house, my neighbor objects I should put the fence back in the previous position. Do I have a right by proscription?

Asked on 12/19/06, 10:24 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Property Rights

While some right of adverse possession may exist, the term to acquire these rights is usually more than the time you indicated. Your neighbor has the right to compel you to move the fence to your property or, if you refuse, to remove it himself. I suggest you move the fence to your property. This is a reply to an Internet question and the response is not intended to be legal advice or as creating an attorney-client relationship. Omitted or missing facts could result in a different reply.

Read more
12/19/06, 11:16 am
Robert R. Groezinger GroezingerLaw P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Property Rights

You have nothing unless you go to court to get it with a lawsuit..

Good Luck.


Read more
12/19/06, 9:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88333 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now