Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

My sister and her husband last year purchased a trailer from a friend of theirs. They have a receipt for the final payment showing a balance of zero dollars. They also have texts that state the purchase price includes lawyers fees and closing costs. Now, several months after, this individual is claiming that the trailer is still his because my sister and her husband have failed to complete their obligations. I think he feels they should pay for the fees and closing costs that he is having to come up with. My sister and her husband never received the deed even after repeated attempts to contact their friend. So the deed is still in his name. Who owns the trailer?

Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.

If Deed is still in original owner's name, he technically is still the owner. They may have to sue him to get the Deed.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York