Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New York

How to I go about petitioning a court to named as the executor of an estate if there was no will?

Asked on 8/19/10, 3:03 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Arnold Nager Arnold H. Nager, Esquire
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You apply in the Surrogate's Court located in the county where the decedent lived at death to be named Administrator of the estate. A close relative has priority, i.e.: surviving spouse, child, etc. You may be required to post a bond.

This can be done for you by an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 8/24/10, 3:54 pm
Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I agree with Arnold on the procedure and the priority of who can qualify.

Read more
Answered on 8/27/10, 7:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88553 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now