New York  |  Wills and Trusts

is my Will still valid if my marital status changes?

Answered on: 9/22/13, 8:10 pm by Walter LeVine

Yes, although it is better if you redo it under your new name, if you use a new name. A Codicil could be used also, if you are making any changes in the original terms.

Walter D. LeVine, Esq. 23 Vreeland Road #102 Florham Park, NJ 07932

Answered on: 9/23/13, 7:55 am by Kevin Pollock

Most Wills have a clause that treat your former spouse as if they predeceased you. This means that your assets would go to the next parties in line and the person named after your former spouse will serve as executor/trustee. I recommend you consult with an attorney to confirm your current wishes are being reflected.

Best of luck,

Kevin A. Pollock, J.D., LL.M.

www.PollockAtLaw.com

P: (609) 818-1555

Licensed to practice law in Florida, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.

Also, visit my blogs at:

http://WillsTrustsEstates.blogspot.com/

http://BaseballLaw.blogspot.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The foregoing is offered for informational purposes only and is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. To indicate that you have read the answer it would be appreciated if you would check either the thumbs up or thumbs down box below. Circular 230 Disclosure: Any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

Law Office of Kevin A. Pollock LLC 112 West Franklin Avenue Pennington, NJ 08534