Legal Question in Workers Comp in New York

backdating a comp case

My husband worked for a company for 18 yrs, and has recently quit. He has been having neck and arm problems, which we feel is a result of the repetitive work he did there. Can he still go back and open a comp case with them?

Asked on 7/13/09, 8:39 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Stacy Law Offices of Michael P. Stacy
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: backdating a comp case

You can file a claim now. You have a 2 year statute of limitation to file a claim. However, it is likely the old employer will fight the claim pretty heavily because he quit the job. It may look like the decision to file a claim is an afterthought or that he is doing it out of spite after quitting the job. They may also refuse to file a claim because he is no longer working there so you may have to file the claim on your own. That is easy enough to do if you get the C-3 accident form from the compensation board or their web site. But it is most likely a case that is best handled by an experienced workers compensation lawyer because claims filed after leaving a job are always scrutinized very closely.

Read more
Answered on 7/13/09, 9:02 pm
Mark S. Moroknek Kelly & Curtis, PLLC.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: backdating a comp case

He needs to submit a compensation case through the company. But why not submit to the major medical carrier?

Read more
Answered on 7/16/09, 9:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Workers' Compensation Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now