North Carolina  |  Civil Litigation

my child is in high school. some kids were in his room last week and read his notebook without permission. it had a list of friends and their phone numbers. One kid asked what the list was and he said it is my hit list. The kids left and one told his mother. The mother went to the school and accused our son of having a list of kids on a hit list. Our son has had the phone list secondary to multiple moves since we are military. He was called to the principles office and after talking to him and my wife- the counselors said it was not an issue. Supposedly, the mother making the complaint has a B.S in psychology and is a constant irritant to staff and other parents. Our son loved the school but now doesn't want to return. Do we have a case to sue the mother for defamation?

Answered on: 10/11/11, 11:01 am by Gregory Kash

Truth is an absolute defense to a slander claim. If your son said it was his hit list, and that was passed on, it is not slander, it is the truth. If you son said these things, he has to live with the consequences.

Law Office of Gregory M. Kash 434 Fayetteville Street, Suite 2350 Raleigh, NC 27601