Legal Question in DUI Law in North Carolina

NC DUI Law

When I was 16 I received a DUI in North Carolina. Now I am 33 and live in CA. I have had a driver's license in Texas and Florida with no problems, but when I tried to get my CA one the ticket came up from NC. Since I was 16 and it has been a lot of years does this still count?

Timothy Burch Burch Law Office

Re: NC DUI Law

you would be required to resolve the old case before NC will release the hold on your license. Over time, unresolved cases are added to the interstate compact database and I have seen many folks in your exact situation. As a practical matter, the age of the case, probably means that the state could not proceed as the officer is not likely to still be employed. My e-mail is tim@burchlawoffice.com if you should have any more specific questions such as how to get the case resolved at this time.

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Re: NC DUI Law

'count'? Well, records are 'forever'. However, it's up to each state to decide how many years back in the records to look to count a conviction as a prior. In CA it is 10 years for DUI's. Yours is older than that, so it doesn't 'count' as a prior; it does stay on the record 'forever'.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in North Carolina