North Carolina  |  Traffic Law

pulled for speeding, car search, small amount of marijuana

My son was recently pulled in Nashville N.C. with a friend who was going 5 miles over the speed limit. The officer then asked permission to search the car. Not knowing their rights they said yes. The officer then found a very small amount of pot ( less than 1/8) in a zip lock bag in my sons overnight bag. He then gave him a citation to appear in court on Aug. 2nd. He told him he was more than likely looking at an hour lecture along with a 250.00 fine. Could you please advise me if this is correct and if it would be in his best interest to hire an attorney. He has never even had a traffic violation in Va. much less N.C and is of 18 years of age by 2 weeks.

Thank you.

Answered on: 6/23/05, 3:38 am by Timothy Burch

Re: pulled for speeding, car search, small amount of marijuana

In N.C., your son will have the opportunity to have this charge dismissed against him under N.C.G.S. 90-96. He will need to do a few things, such as obtain a drug and alcohol assessment, and enroll in a drug education program within a short time after going to court. At a later time, he would be entitled to have this charge expunged from his record, but it does not happen automatically. For all of these reasons, I suggest you contact an attorney to handle this matter. Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Burch Law Office 313 South Evans Street Greenville, NC 27858

Answered on: 6/21/05, 6:59 am by Brian Miller

It is advisable to get an attorney under these circumstances or at least to consult with a criminal defense attorney in Nashville. I am a Virginia attorney and cannot advise you as to how they handle things in North Carolina.

Brian M. Miller, Attorney at Law 10482 Armstrong Street Fairfax, VA 22030

Answered on: 6/21/05, 7:38 am by Michael E. Hendrickson

Again, this is another example of why noone, under any circumstances, should voluntarily consent to a police search of his or her vehicle after a traffic stop. It is, apparently, a little known fact that you are entitled to say no(and should) to the officer's request to conduct such a search.

Attorney & Counsellor at Law 211 North Union Street Suite 100 Alexandria, 22314

Answered on: 6/22/05, 5:10 pm by Jonathon Moseley

I am not licensed in N.C. and do not know N.C. law, but I am immediately suspicious when you write that the pot was found in your sons overnight bag. Searching a car is NOT typically the same thing as opening up luggage inside the car. This will depend on N.C. law, or perhaps Federal, but I seem to remember that permission to search the car means searching the car, not opening up bags of luggage inside the car. I could be wrong on that, but that is a question I would have explored.

Office of Jonathon Moseley 1818 Library Street, Suite 500 Reston, VA 20190