Legal Question in Business Law in North Carolina

trademark law

I want to make an outdoor art product that has college or professional sport team names that I apply to the product for sale. Can I do this with out breaking any laws?

Stephanie Kimbro Kimbro Legal Services, LLC - A NC Virtual Law Office

Re: trademark law

No. If you will be selling the product, then you cannot profit from using that college or professional sport team's trademarked logo or name. This would be considered trademark infringement. In order to do this properly, you would need to get permission from the college or professional sport team and that would most likely mean them granting you a limited license to use their trademarks for which you would have to pay them under some form of arrangement. There are some exceptions where you may use the name and some images that are trademarked but only if those names and images are used in parody, but it sounds like this is not what you are intending to do. I would recommend either contacting the college or professional sport team directly about using their names and logos.

More Business Law questions and answers in North Carolina

Business Law Legal Forms