North Carolina  |  Civil Rights Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/30/10, 7:20 pm

so im 15 about to turn 16, i want to know what i need to do in order to move out, i have someone who is willing to take me in because they do not like the situation i am in, i would appreciate any answers

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/04/10, 7:57 pm by Rachel Hunter

At 16, you can file for emancipation. Emancipation means that you have to prove to the court that you want to be treated as an adult and that you are capable of supporting yourself. I am not sure that having someone "take you in" is the same as self-support. Get a lawyer to maximize your chances.

If you do not qualify, then it would be better if this person could talk to your parents and get their approval. If not, then go anyway. Police are not likely to return you home and force you to stay there. If it becomes an issue, the person taking you in should apply to the court to become your legal guardian and be granted custody of you. He or she needs to see a family law attorney. If there are issues, then the person taking you in may be able to show that your parents are unfit and that you will be better off with him or her.

The standard is always what is in your best interests and that is what you and the person taking you in will have to show to the court in order to succeed.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney address not available

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search