North Carolina  |  Civil Rights Law

I live in a condo complex where we have to register our pets with the HOA (breed, weight, shots, etc.). Recently our HOA has started calling vet offices to verify our pet's information. If your pet is over the weight limit they are giving you 7 days for you to make other arrangements. Several questions:

1. Does an HOA have the right to call your vetís office to verify your pet's medical information?

2. Does the vet's office have any legal restrictions on what information they can and cannot give out to someone who isn't the owner?

3. If you have an indoor cat that died (the vet was not made aware of this and stated that the cat was alive), does the HOA have the right to come into your home to check? Can I say no?

4. Do I have any rights in regard to my petís privacy?

5. Can the HOA get sued?

On some level it seems like privacy laws should extend to pets since they are your property.

Thanks!! SarahJane

This is an unanswered question.