North Carolina  |  Consumer Law

I purchased a truck in VA and then returned to NC where I live. On the way home my check engine light came on. I took it to my local ford dealership to find out what was causing the light to come on. They told me that the truck is missing its catalytic converter and egr valve which is causing it to throw the code because of emissions. Because of this problem the truck will not pass the state inspection. I called the dealer that I purchased the truck from but they say that they are not responsible because they got the truck inspected in VA. The dealer here says that the truck would not pass anywhere. I am just wondering if there is any recourse that I have because my local Ford dealer says that it is illegal to sell a vehicle that won't pass inspection.

Answered on: 9/29/13, 4:14 pm by Kenneth Love

You need to speak to an attorney versed in Virginia Law. Since you bought it there, VA law will apply. But most likely, the seller has a problem on his hands.

Ken Love Law 3410 Healy Drive Winston Salem, NC 27103