Legal Question in Consumer Law in North Carolina

I refuse to give my SS# to companies for my protection and most of them refuse to do business with me without it. Understand some companies or institutes require it ie financial institutes. My SS# card says " not for identification purposes".

Do I have any leverage to force companies to deal with me when I reuse to give my SS# for ID purposes?

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law

Leverage means that you have something that someone else wants. In this case, what is your leverage? A company has the right to demand a social security number to confirm your identity and/or do a credit check. You have the right to refuse and walk away. There is nothing, legally speaking, that can force a company to deal with you without meeting their underwriting requirements.

I suspect that perhaps, you can go to a company and ask to work with them without your social security number in exchange for something that benefits them...say increase of the interest rate of a loan...but not above a legal limit. Unfortunately, I believe this to be very unlikely.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in North Carolina

Consumer Law Legal Forms