North Carolina  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 1/04/02, 10:33 am

Stop Payment on Check

I sold a dog to a lady in SC but met her halfway which was in NC and she only paid for half. After several attempts to collect she said she didn't want the dog anymore so I agreed to come back to the place of exchange and refund her money for the dog. She did not show up. I then called the sherriff of the county where she lived and they accompanied me to her house to get the dog. I gave her the hundred dollars in cash that she gave me but she then insisted that I owed her $25 for feeding the dog. I wrote her a check because the sherriff said I could not take possesion of the dog unless I satisfied her so I wrote a check and when returning home stopped payment on the check. She is now trying to take action against me with a certified letter saying I now owe her $50 ($25 service fee) and if I don't pay within 10 days she will take action.I think that I have a good case because I drove 1 1/2 hours the 1st time she agreed to met me and 1 1/2 back and then drove 3 hours there and 3 hours back to retrieve the dog. I also have vet bills because the dog was sick when I regained possesion. I do not want to have to drive to court in SC but want to know if she can be sued for the money this has cost me? There was nothing in writing.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search