Legal Question in Criminal Law in North Carolina

Hello,im 34 y.o. from N.C. and 19 yrs ago,i was caught shoplifting as many kids do,no excuse.well today i was told by a clerk of court person,while paying a ticket,she found my file from 1994 and i had an outstanding warrant,stating i could not be located to serve,which is obserd,ive lived in the same house same street my entire life,so she says i needed to turn myself in that i would be doing some jail time ,of course being a minor at the time,can a case/charge from that long ago really hold up, Im a nurse with a family,im not the same person as i was 19 yrs ago.i stole an inkpen,not a car or pulled off a bank robbery.please advice...thank you-angie

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

I take it you did not turn yourself in! In any event, this does need to be resolved - you don't want a warrant for your arrest floating around out there. Get an attorney and make arrangements to turn yourself in so that you can post bond immediately. With a case that old, odds are the state will not be able to successfully prosecute you anyway and the case will most likely be dismissed. Even if you are found guilty, a judge may consider granting a PJC to keep this off your record since the case is so old, the theft was of a pen and due to youthful indiscretion. Also, there are other options that vary by district that your attorney can explain to you.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in North Carolina