Legal Question in Criminal Law in North Carolina

Hello,im 34 y.o. from N.C. and 19 yrs ago,i was caught shoplifting as many kids do,no excuse.well today i was told by a clerk of court person,while paying a ticket,she found my file from 1994 and i had an outstanding warrant,stating i could not be located to serve,which is obserd,ive lived in the same house same street my entire life,so she says i needed to turn myself in that i would be doing some jail time ,of course being a minor at the time,can a case/charge from that long ago really hold up, Im a nurse with a family,im not the same person as i was 19 yrs ago.i stole an inkpen,not a car or pulled off a bank robbery.please advice...thank you-angie

Asked on 6/19/13, 6:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I take it you did not turn yourself in! In any event, this does need to be resolved - you don't want a warrant for your arrest floating around out there. Get an attorney and make arrangements to turn yourself in so that you can post bond immediately. With a case that old, odds are the state will not be able to successfully prosecute you anyway and the case will most likely be dismissed. Even if you are found guilty, a judge may consider granting a PJC to keep this off your record since the case is so old, the theft was of a pen and due to youthful indiscretion. Also, there are other options that vary by district that your attorney can explain to you.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/13, 12:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now