North Carolina  |  Criminal Law

If I have a misdemeanor larceny charge, and it is my first offense. If there any way I could get this off of my record?

Answered on: 9/17/13, 11:18 am by Michelle Sparrow

You may be eligible for an expungement. Please contact our office at (919) 829-3500 to discuss this matter. Thank you.

Sparrow Law Firm 317 West Morgan Street, Ste 111 Raleigh, NC 27601

Answered on: 9/17/13, 12:23 pm by Amanda Houser

The short answer is sort of. If the charge is pending and has not yet been resolved, occasionally for charges like this a District Attorney may allow you to earn a dismissal in exchange for community service or you may possibly be eligible for Deferred Prosecution and on even rarer occasions a Judge may consider granting a Prayer for Judgment Continued under certain circumstances. All of these options result in no conviction and no record of conviction but you will always have a record of arrest which is almost just as bad. There is also the possibility of an Expungment but even this is of limited value because some applications for employment etc. specifically ask if you have ever had anything expunged. So basically your best hope is to minimize your exposure but you will never erase it completely.

The Houser Law Firm, P.C. 1007 Hargett Street Suite 2 Jacksonville, NC 28540