Legal Question in Criminal Law in North Carolina

If I have a misdemeanor larceny charge, and it is my first offense. If there any way I could get this off of my record?

Asked on 9/17/13, 10:17 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michelle Sparrow Sparrow Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You may be eligible for an expungement. Please contact our office at (919) 829-3500 to discuss this matter. Thank you.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/13, 11:18 am
Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The short answer is sort of. If the charge is pending and has not yet been resolved, occasionally for charges like this a District Attorney may allow you to earn a dismissal in exchange for community service or you may possibly be eligible for Deferred Prosecution and on even rarer occasions a Judge may consider granting a Prayer for Judgment Continued under certain circumstances. All of these options result in no conviction and no record of conviction but you will always have a record of arrest which is almost just as bad. There is also the possibility of an Expungment but even this is of limited value because some applications for employment etc. specifically ask if you have ever had anything expunged. So basically your best hope is to minimize your exposure but you will never erase it completely.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/13, 12:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now