North Carolina  |  Criminal Law

A few months ago,while using the bathroom at walmart,my ex put some things in my purse.I walked out with it not knowing.adam and i were both arrested for larceny.The security saw adam do it but he had me arreste.That charge is still pending. What do i do?

Answered on: 8/30/11, 4:49 am by Richard Culler

I just was retained for the exact same facts yesterday (was it a Wal-Mart?)....anyway, you need to ask for appointed counsel or retain an attorney in your area to defend the case...I don't know how old you are, but if you care about your criminal history, you need to win this case...otherwise, you will have a criminal record for the rest of your life...I will say that if you have a clean record, you may be able to apply for Deferred Prosecution in your area...here in Charlotte, Deferred Prosecution is used regularly to resolve cases involving folks who have no criminal history...it is used routinely in misdemeanor cases as long as the alleged victim does not protest...complete the program and the charge is dismissed; takes all the risk and money out of the minor charge...but, you have to complete the program successfully...

Culler Law Firm, P.A. Suite 212, 212 N. McDowell St. Charlotte, NC 28204