Legal Question in DUI Law in North Carolina

Yes i have a dwi when i went to court i told the judge i was going to hire my own attorney but laid off from my job and now cant afford one. I've had it put off once, does that disqualify me from a court appointed attorney?

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

Possibly, if you signed a Waiver of Court Appointed Counsel at your first Court date. However, if your circumstances have changed between now and your first Court date most judges will allow you to be interviewed for Court Appointed Counsel to see if you are eligible. Keep in mind that even if you are eligible for a Court Appointed Attorney, it might not end up being a 'free' attorney. If you end up pleading or being found guilty, even to a lesser charge, you will most likely be required to reimburse the State the cost of the Court Appointed Attorney.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in North Carolina