North Carolina  |  DUI Law

Got a DWI in 2010, it was my first offense, and I registered a .12 vs. a legal limit of .08 in NC. I hired an attorney, who appeared for me in court, and plead me guilty as part of a plea deal. I lost my license for a year, was placed on probation, did community service, attended addiction classes, and was fined.

While I thought this was harsh for a first offense, I only today learned why. All on my court paperwork shows my blood alcohol level as .17, more than double the legal limit. This means my offense was one with Special Circumstances, which raises it from Level One to Level Five. Apparently, someone at the court copied the poorly formed 2, on the officers ticket, as a 7. Further, nobody, including my attorney, looked at the breath test and saw there was a mistake.

Is there anything I can do now? Obviously, I've already served any punishment, but I'd like to correct the record and make sure my insurance company and vocational board know the truth.