North Carolina  |  Elder Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/30/12, 12:09 am

My 84 year old father is being taken advantage of by a grand daughter who is using him to get to his money. He has medical needs and should be keeping his money to assist in paying his medical bills. I am currently spending my time and money to take him to doctors and helping to pay for copayments and other needs. How do I get legal authority to prevent him from withdrawing money out of his account to give away to someone who is married and should not be asking him for money?

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/30/12, 5:07 am by Jay Mills

If your father is still mentally competent, it is difficult to "force" him to do anything. That being said, it is often smart to set up an appointment with an estate attorney to have your father execute a power of attorney, or add your name to a checking account, etc. If you are named his power of attorney you will have a fiduciary duty to carry out his wishes, but it will give you some control (or at least direct access to information) regarding this situation. It is important that you do something if you are sure that the granddaughter is taking advantage of him. Good luck going forward.

Jay Mills

Burns Day & Presnell


Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Burns Day and Presnell, P.A. 2626 Glenwood Avenue Raleigh, NC 27608

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search